A Quick Guide to Pet Insurance

Understanding the various options when it comes to credit and insurance for your pet’s veterinary care can be confusing (read our blog about pet insurance to learn more), but once you decide that pet insurance is the right decision for you, that’s just the start. Next you need to review the coverage and packages available, and determine which is the best one for you to select.

To help make this easier, we’ve got a quick guide to pet insurance that covers the basics of what it is, and how Trupanion Pet Insurance works.

Pet Insurance Basics

What is it? Pet insurance is coverage for veterinary bills for unexpected accidents or illness that occurs.

What does it cost? The average monthly costs are between $12 – $36 for cats and $25 – $65 for dogs. Of course it will vary based on the plan you select, and the specifics of your cat or dog, so get a quote to get started!

What about kittens and puppies? They can be covered to! Trupanion offers special packages for kittens and puppies so that they can be covered from the start and reduce the chance of any pre-existing conditions. It’s the most complete coverage you can get, so don’t wait to sign up your young ‘un.

How much is covered? Trupanion covers 90% of all approved veterinary bills and you pay the other 10%. To find out what is covered, check out our blog with more details on Trupanion and understanding pet insurance.

Are there limits to the coverage? Nope, no limits. Trupanion takes a “do what you need” approach so that you can provide your pet with the care they need, while having the peace of mind to know that the bill is covered. It’s part of why Trupanion is a vet and a pet owner favorite.

Want to learn more? Check out this great infographic provided by Trupanion that explains how pet insurance works and what the associated costs are. If you still have questions, you can always contact us and we’ll help you get the information you need.


Our Certifications

AAHA: The Animal Hospital of Sussex County is a certified hospital in the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). To achieve this distinction, our hospital has passed regular comprehensive inspections of our facilities, medical equipment, veterinary practice methods and management. If you are traveling or relocating anywhere, finding an AAHA hospital will ensure the best medical care for your pet. The AAHA is recognized as the world’s leading association of small animal practitioners.

AAFP: We are also a cat friendly practice, certified by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. This means that the Animal Hospital of Sussex County is specifically set up to decrease stress and provide a more calming environment for your cat. Our staff has also been trained in feline-friendly handling and understanding cat behavior in order to increase the quality of care for your cat.

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content